Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Dark Knights - Batman & I


It's funny to think that one of my first living memories is of Tim Burton's 'Batman' from 1989. I was around 18 months old at the time, and wouldn't even see the film until it appeared on television a few years later. However during my literal infancy, my parents owned an arts and crafts store and in the summer of “Bat-mania” they too displayed numerous items of merchandise. Die-cast Joker vans, Air-fix Batmobiles, posters, stationary – all sorts. Of course not all of these sold and my Dad was wise enough to put some away, on the chance they may one day be worth something. He also gave me a few pieces, most precious being my die-cast Batmobile toy. Remember this was around 1990, so must certainly have been my introduction to the character of Batman.
 
Soon after in 1992 the animated series by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm arrived on Saturday mornings, and gave me the first, and to this day definitive, experience of The Dark Knight. In my youth I always liked the show, but it was only once I had the DVD box-sets imported from the US in 2006 that I truly realised how good this series was.

At the same time, Burton returned and so did the hype, and so did The Batman for the suitably titled 'Batman Returns'. Now aged 4 and ¾, I was much more aware of the film and in what would become characteristic fashion, I collected each and every 'Batman Returns' trading card. (I don't like incomplete collections. This is why I don't understand collections that have no end point, such as stamps...) Unlike the first film, my parents allowed me to see 'Batman Returns', which to this day I am simultaneously thankful for and horrified by. That film is even darker than the original, but is also more brilliant in every way. It remains one of my favourite films, and I still have all the trading cards in the drawer of my bedside table. I suppose what I'm labouring to express is that the Burton 'Batman' films are an iconic part of my childhood. Although they are imperfect films, which fail to capture many of the traits that make Batman one of my favourite fictional characters, the two pictures will forever be a part of me (Ironically unlike 'Batman Forever').

So then, I have decided to review the 9 major Batman films between now and Christmas. “Nine?!” you say? Yes, and I have already started with my review of 'Batman: Mask of the Phantasm' from 1993. Soon I will post reviews for 'Batman' (1966), 'Batman' (1989), 'Batman Returns' (1992), 'Batman Forever' (1995), 'Batman and Robin' (1997), 'Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker' (2000), 'Batman Begins' (2005) and 'The Dark Knight' (2008). I'll be doing this in whatever order seems best at the time, so as not to force myself to watch 'Batman and Robin' when I'm not in the mood.

I may even review an episode of 'Batman: The Animated Series', 'Batman Beyond', the 'Batman: Arkham Asylum' video game, a graphic novel or two and the anime anthology 'Gotham Knight; should I feel inclined. So, this winter join me as we journey through -

The Big Picture's

Dark Knights

No comments:

Post a Comment