Friday, August 06, 2010

Recent Review: Lost in Translation (Released: 3rd October 2003)

"Let's never come here again, because it will never be as much fun."


A hand-held camera catches a glimpse the Rainbow Bridge over Tokyo Bay. The sun is starting to turn the black shadows pale blue, as distant chatter comes over the cab radio. Scrolling street lights cut across the reflection of the Shinjuku district in the window of a passing taxi cab. Bill Murray naps inside, leaning against the back seat window. Scarlett Johansen turns to him and smiles to herself. This scene in Sofia Coppola's 'Lost in Translation' lasts barely over a minute, yet somehow captures the essence of the urban experience. It is one of many short moments where love, travel and the city are beautifully observed and put on screen.


In fact, 'Lost in Translation' feels more like an observation than a story. It's plot is less important than the location, the people or even the light. To some this will seem dull and probably pretentious. However for those who are in a mood for poignant melancholy, this film satisfies like few others. The narrative centres on Bob (Bill Murray), an American actor who visits Japan for one week, which in his own words involves;

"Taking a break from my wife, forgetting my son's birthday. And, uh, getting paid two million dollars to endorse a whiskey when I could be doing a play somewhere." - Bob Harris

He resolves himself to haunting his hotel, until he discovers a close friend in Charlotte (Scarlett Johansen), the young American wife of a fashion photographer who can't decide what to do with her life.

The performances that hold the film together are outstanding. Bill Murray is at his career best, utilising his full range of talent to evoke humour, pathos and sadness. His chemistry with Johansen lends the film astounding realism, without which it might have failed. Johansen gives a vivid and layered performance, demonstrating her strengths far better than her most notable role at the time in 'Ghost World' (2001).

The soundtrack is a variety of alternative rock, prominently featuring the Irish-born Kevin Shields and his band 'My Bloody Valentine', the British electronic rock legends 'Death in Vegas' as well as the French bands 'Phoenix' and 'Air'. It is one of my all-time favourite soundtracks, a modern European set which compliments Coppola's directorial style and classic European influences perfectly. Detail is the film's true accomplishment. It is present in the aforementioned performances, but also perpetuates throughout Coppola's original screenplay and direction. Reported to be based on her own experiences married to director Spike Jonze, the film acts more as a travel-log or visual diary, so in-tune with the feelings of being away from home that I can absolutely believe it to be the case.

'Lost in Translation' is not a film I watch often, but it is undoubtedly one of my most treasured. It is a film bursting with atmosphere which always leaves me yearning to travel and explore. It is not for everyone, but I urge anyone who has ever been excited by a new place or person to experience this film for themselves.

*****
 
(UK Release: 9th January 2004)

2 comments:

  1. As usual, I couldn't have explained better myself why I love this film so much :) And as, you say, I don't know any other film that 'captures a moment' like this film does in so many scenes often without any dialogue. It's the best. This movie also gave me much faith in Johansson's abilities but sadly I haven't seen her as good since. And Bill Murray... amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to rewatch this one. I saw it once a while back, and I really didn't care for it. I think I went in expecting more of a plot and, as you say, plot is not terribly important in this film.

    I think if this film was in a different city from Tokyo - a city I am more familiar with, or a city I would like to visit - I would have liked it from the first viewing. There is a lot I should love about this film, and I hope I'll feel differently the next time.

    ReplyDelete