Monday, January 11, 2010

Review of the 00's: Pop Music in Film

I’ve finally started my review of the decade in film, so I thought I’d begin with a section low on writing but big on impact - pop music in film. Unlike film scores composed for a feature, these needle-drops and covers display a different kind of creative skill and can create some of the most enduring movie moments. I’ve chosen what I think is the best use of a popular track from one film each year. Note this is not the best track just on its own (although in some cases this applies), but rather my opinion on the best marriage of one piece of art with another. I wont write anything alongside, you’ve either seen the films or you haven’t, and music is very subjective. Beware I will be using clips in-film where I can find them, so SPOILER WARNING!


Tiny Dancer - Elton John - Almost Famous - 2000


Needle in the Hay - Elliott Smith - The Royal Tenenbaums - 2001


Come Fly with Me - Frank Sinatra - Catch Me If You Can - 2002


Sometimes - My Bloody Valentine - Lost in Translation - 2003

(Sorry, can't find the clip!)

Gut Feeling - Devo - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - 2004

(And I only found this one in German...)

Trouble (Cat Stevens Cover) - Elliott Smith - Thumbsucker - 2005

(Some random music video I'm afraid, no clips!)

I’m Shipping Up to Boston - Dropkick Murphys - The Departed - 2006

(At least this is an official music video...)

Caught By the Fuzz - Supergrass - Hot Fuzz - 2007

(Live version seems to be the only one I can embed... This ran over the credits anyway.)

Iron Man (Instrumental) - Black Sabbath - Iron Man - 2008

(Another credits song, but at the perfect moment.)

Hero - Regina Spektor - (500) Days of Summer - 2009

(And finally, as a new film there is no uploaded clip yet...)

I decided it would be cheating to include songs only used in trailers, but I’d like to acknowledge ‘Cells’ by The Servant in the Sin City (2005) trailer, and ‘Wake Up’ by Arcade Fire from the Where the Wild Things Are (2009) trailer. Both made already great films look even better. So that’s my opinion, what do you guys think? Which of these did you like/dislike? Which songs not mentioned here really had an impact on you this decade in film? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. hmm. I like anything Wes does musically in his films. Even if I dont particularly like the song. Its a rare occasion when I hear a song in a TV show or film which is a favourite of mine, but when i do i get really excited & savour it! I usually find new songs this way though. Unfortunately its rare to hear anything good and well put together nowadays because its all popular pop songs placed haphazardly over the trailer which helps the tralier to the value of zero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tell im a cynic :) and i love it.

    ReplyDelete